TELECOMMUNICATION companies are scheduled to present the service improvements they have undertaken during the televised Palace briefing on Tuesday, Presidential Spokesperson Harry L. Roque announced.
“All of them are racing to send their explanations but we have decided that next Tuesday’s briefing will be exclusively on telcos,” Mr. Roque said during Thursday’s briefing.
Officials of regulator National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) will also be present, he said.
Earlier this year, as demand for better internet services became pressing amid the coronavirus-prompted restrictions, President Rodrigo R. Duterte ordered local governments units (LGUs) to ease the permit application process for the installation of cell towers and other infrastructure.
The Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) reported earlier this week that 2,220 cell tower applications were already approved by LGUs while 712 are pending. — Gillian M. Cortez